September 29, 2009

Why does God allow suffering?

so i prayed for God to answer one of the questions because i didn't know which one to do and he answered it yesterday when i went to visit Taylor U. in chapel, reverend Dwight Knight partly answered why suffering happens:
-pain is God's indicator that something is wrong. without pain, a toothe ache could eventually kill you. Likewise, when there's pain, God is telling the world that something is wrong! It's not always Satan. Yes Satan tries to distort the purpose of the pain and tries to steal our joy while we are in pain. If he's stolen your joy in any circumstance, he's gotten you to lost your trust in God. That's why Paul suffered so much yet was such a godly, joyful, persevering man. He realized that his joy was not in this world but in heaven and that he no longer feared death- pain is god's megaphone to a deaf world.- in pain there is refinement. he came baptizing with the Spirit and with fire. The fire part, i believe (and correct me if i'm wrong), is the pain. Pain is for refinement. Something's wrong. Figure it out and fix it. Let God.C.S. Lewis said that God whispers to us in our pleasure and screams to us in our pain.
looking up that quote, i read this article. it's quite purposeful:
God Whispers in Our Pleasures and Sings Over UsC.S. Lewis said, "God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks to us in our conscience, but shouts in our pains: It is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world." (The Problem of Pain, 1940). inside me, I did not yet understand how painful life could be. I understood a child's pain, but had yet to discover a woman's pain, or a mother's pain. All of those pains laid before me as I totally trusted Jesus without question.
Many of us would never have recognized our need for God had it not been for the pain we were experiencing. It was that way for me. Even though I had accepted Jesus as my Savior as a child, and asked Him to come and liveThen, as inevitably happens, the noise of the world began to drown out the voice of God's Spirit. It grew harder and harder to hear The Spirit's voice. At first I recognized the difficulty, but without coming back to Him, each succeeding time His voice grew dimmer and dimmer.
Then, because God is a God of unlimited grace, He allowed painful circumstances to enter my life. In essence, He said, "OK, have it your way." But He did not leave me! I picture Him standing back, arms folded, brow furrowed, eyes fixed on His precious daughter to see what a mess she could make.Each time I ran to the Arms of God, He sat me on His Lap, hugged me with His Arms, and rejoiced over me with songs (Zephaniah 3:17).
The Lord your God is with you,He is might to save.He will take great delight in you,He will quiet you with His love,He will rejoice over you with singing.
There is nothing like hearing - with your spiritual ear - God rejoicing over you with singing! No emotion known to man can compare with it. I'm so thankful for the megaphone of God, followed by His singing over me. I know exactly how the prodigal son felt, and it feels good!"

1 comment: