September 12, 2009

The Building is the MEANS, not the goal.

So I was sitting outside. Our church has a beautiful campus. I’m not boasting in our church. I am boasting in the God who allowed us to be here and made the beautiful land the building sits on and made the materials that made the building. So I was sitting there reading, looking at the beauty of God’s creation. I’ll let you know that our church sits on a hill. The highest point in Hamilton County, Indiana. We can stand on our church grounds and see (I think) four surrounding towns/cities and all the surrounding houses and neighborhoods and fields. And we’ve got grass. A lot of it. God gave it to us and makes it grow for us. It truly is such a sight to see. And the sun is beautiful from that hill definitely.
This morning I came to church early with my mom to spend some time reading and staring at God’s creation. There was a cross country race and a woman and her husband walked by going to a spot where they could better view the race, and as I was reading I heard her say “It just goes on forever.” And I thought to myself, “Goodness yes it does.” The land is so beautiful. Then I looked up and realized that she was talking about the building. The building behind me. It is quite long. And my heart broke a bit for the words that woman said. That they were about the building. The creation of the living God, which does stretch on forever, was right behind her, and I just prayed that she turn around, look at God’s creation, and say “It just goes on forever.” God your land goes on forever. Your territory goes further than the heavens. Please let people know that the building is merely a means to the goal. It is not our goal to build false temples for ourselves. We know You do not dwell in just buildings made by human hands. Please help them to know that too. It’s not about the building, but the people in it, and the God who gave us the ability to dream it up. I pray we can direct back all that glory to you. yes. buildings are beautiful. but they don't last forever. they don't dwell in people's hearts. You do. Thank you Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment